TIPS BEFORE PLANTING:
– You can choose between 2 things to plant:
- You can plant seeds with the urn and grow the tree from seed. If so, make sure to read this article in advance of planting. FYI the seeds may need a few weeks of preparation before they are able to be planted in the urn.
- You can choose to plant a seedling, young sprout or sapling with the urn. If so, make sure to read this article in advance of planting.
– Before you plant your Bios Urn®, be sure to read up about the tree species you have chosen to ensure optimal conditions for growth.
– Check to make sure you plant during the best season. All seeds and seedlings should be planted during their correct planting season.
– TLC (all living things require some basic tender loving care – remember to give your tree some as well!)
We try to make the Bios Urn® as user-friendly as possible. The Bios Urn® itself is divided into two capsules: a lower capsule, and an upper capsule. The upper capsule comes sealed and contains a soil expansion disc made of coco fibre, vermiculite and paper.
Instructions for using the Bios Urn®
1. Fill the lower capsule of the Bios Urn® with ash (any amount, regardless of how little can be used.) The Bios Urn® can be filled by a crematorium, or by the individual user. Thanks to its double capsule design, the Bios Urn® locks into place, so that a crematorium can give the ash back to you ready to plant. Once the ashes have been transferred to the lower capsule, close the lower capsule with the top capsule by sealing it into place (place the top capsule on top, and then twist it slightly to the side). TIP: If you only use a portion of the ash, be sure to fill the remainder of the Bios Urn® with soil from the surrounding area as well so as not to leave a gap present.
2. Research and choose your preferred seed or seedling. The Bios Urn® works with every single kind, no exceptions! By sourcing your own directly yourself, it enables to choose a tree which is sentimental and meaningful to you. Fruit trees, flowering trees, evergreens or conifers are all completely compatible. We cannot stress enough how important it is to always choose a native tree species or one which is common to your location, to respect the ecological balance and ensure better growth. So be sure to check with a local gardening supplier or horticulturist for information on native tree species in your area. Remember you can also elect to use a seedling, or sprout instead of a seed. Or some people also chose to plant a flower, a plant, or a bush instead of a tree.
3. Choose the location or planting spot for your Bios Urn®. If you need assistance with this, contact us here, or check out our recommended places to plant as well as our tips on how to chose the right planting spot.
4. Plant your Bios Urn®! Dig a hole large enough to accommodate the Bios Urn®. Generally around 15-16 inches (36-37cm) is a good depth, with a width of 10-12 inches. Plant the Bios Urn® inside, leaving the soil surface a couple of fingers above the top of the urn. TIP: water the entire hole before you plant the Bios Urn® into it, as this will help begin the process of biodegradation.
5. Fill the area around the Bios Urn® with soil from where you are planting without covering the top of the urn.
6. Remove the seal from the top capsule, and unpack the expansion disc. Get your seeds or seedling handy. Place the expansion disc at the very bottom of the top capsule then add soil from the site you are planting the Bios Urn® on top of the expansion disc. Place a couple of seeds on top of the soil. If you are planting a young sprout (seedling), plant it on top of the expansion disc then gently add soil form the site on top and/or around the base.
7. Cover the Bios Urn® with soil from the surrounding area, and thoroughly water the spot you have planted it. There should be around 1/4 inch to ½ inc of soil on top of the seeds (make sure you don´t place too much on top!) None of the Bios Urn® should be exposed, it should all be covered by soil.
Simply plant your urn where you want your tree to grow and take care of it. Always plant all of the urn, which is 100% biodegradable and won’t damage the soil. You can plant your Bios Urn® using a seed or a young sprout if you prefer. We generally recommend planting during the appropriate season according to your tree. If you have questions about when to plant your Bios Urn® according to your location, message us, and we will do our best to assist you with this process.
Remember that Bios Urn® can be saved for as much time as you want because it doesn’t have an expiration date. If you don’t plan on using your Bios Urn® anytime soon, we recommend only adding the seeds when the time for planting comes.
How can I make sure my Bios Urn® Tree grows?
How to Plant Your Bios Urn® Indoors or In a Container
How to Plant or Protect Your Bios Urn® Tree over Winter
Places Where the Bios Urn® Can Be Planted
How to Bring Your Bios Urn® tree With You If You Move
Sun exposure: Does it really matter?
How to Chose the Right Planting Spot
How to Properly Water my Bios Urn Tree
– The Bios Team
Join our mailing list to keep you updated of all Bios® news and get a 10% Discount!